Home > Uncategorized > 3M half – is it spring?

3M half – is it spring?

Wow! After training in 35-45 degree temps for a couple of months, the weather this morning was pretty hard to take.  It was @ 64 at the start line and I would guess 100% humidity, at least for awhile there.  It was a good 10 degrees warmer than I expected after watching a few different weather reports.  I did okay – PR for a half – but if were cooler, I know I could’ve done better.


I would like to say that whomever said this was a “mostly downhill half” must be talking a different language than me.  “Mostly downhill” to me means very few uphills but that wasn’t the case, especially during those first 10 miles.  Since I didn’t drive the course (stupid me!) I wasn’t expecting some of those uphills and it made me hard to judge what was coming up.  It messed with my mental game a bit.

My results


Here were my avg paces at miles 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and the last 1.1 (13.1) – 11:55, 11:25, 12:41, 13:21, 11:04, 13:55, 8:59

The sun came out @ mile 10 and with the humidity, it was tough. Thank goodness I carried my sunglasses until then because running 3 miles with sun in your eyes is not cool!

Garmin and pacing

This was my first half using my garmin and it was a good thing and a bad thing. Good because I could quickly tell my pace but bad because it was a distraction.  I met my fabulous Rogue friends at the start line – THANK GOODNESS! – and that helped me so much!  These ladies are just the best and it’s always good to see them. Most of them were planning to run this in 2:30 and I didn’t think I had a 2:30 in me, but at an 11:30 avg/pace, I kept it in the back of my head.  This was the longest distance I’d run since Decker in mid-December so I thought it would be tough and I was right.  I tried to keep up with an 11:30-12:00 pace at the beginning but by mile 6, I could feel it slipping away so I gave myself permission to slow down and try to find my groove.  I don’t know if I ever found it, by the way!  I put so much pressure on me that I didn’t enjoy this race as much as I could have, but that’s okay, I’m still happy with my time and it’s great to get another half under my belt.

Hooptie do what? and Cousin Kim!!!!

@ mile 9, some idiot driving his mom in a big hooptie car decided to drive between the cones and cross the race traffic to enter a parking lot!  I couldn’t believe it!  I could tell what he was trying to do but luckily, he did it behind me and not right in front of me.  I sure hope a police officer saw and that jack-ass got a ticket.  Sorry, but I couldn’t believe he would do something like that.  So dangerous, stupid, rude, I could go on and on…  I was running by myself but there were a few ladies I didn’t know around me and we all looked at each other like “You’ve got to be freakin’ kidding me!”  I turned my head to my right to say it again and noticed a pretty blonde in an aqua running top pulling up next to me.  Guess what?  It was my cousin Kim Matheson Mangus!  Woo-hoo!  We tried to find each other at the start line (after missing each other completely at the San Antonio half) but I could tell it was her b/c we’re Facebook friends.  Her mom and my mom are first cousins.  She was a flower girl in my parent’s wedding.  She didn’t live in Weimar though and she’s a little older than me so I didn’t see her much when I was a kid.  The last time I remember seeing her was at her wedding in San Antonio on the Riverwalk.  I don’t know if I’ve told her this, but she was the most beautiful bride I’d ever seen (and she still holds the record!)  I was @ 11-yrs-old at the time and I just couldn’t believe how gorgeous she looked in her wedding gown.  It was SO AWESOME to see her on the race course!  She was running intervals so we were close for maybe .5 miles and then she took off, I think.  That’s about the time the sun came out and I was hating life around then.

My Special Cheerleaders

@ mile 10.5-11 I saw my friend Leslie and her doggie, Olive.  I was SO HAPPY to see them!  It meant SO MUCH to me that she took the time to come out and cheer me on.  My family didn’t make it to this race so Leslie and Olive were my biggest cheerleaders on the course and it was just awesome to see them!

Where’s the freakin’ gatorade, man?

Those last few miles were tough and after stepping it up and hitting an 11:04 min pace at mile 10, I realized I needed to slow down or I wouldn’t be able to pick it up again at the very end.  My body was screaming for salt. I started sweating before I reached mile 1 so I knew hydrating was going to be very important.  I did the best I could, but they were out of gatorade at mile 8 so I had to wait another 4 miles before I could get any and I needed the electrolytes badly.

It’s Good to be a ROGUE!!

I really appreciated the Rogue coaches and members who came out on the course to cheer us on.  My personal coach, Carolyn, was near the finish line and hearing them helped me really pick it up at the end there.  I ran an 8:59 over that last 1.1 miles!  That is AMAZING!

Final thoughts

This was the least emotional half I’ve ran.  I really think the Garmin was a distraction. It doesn’t feel like a distraction on my Saturday long runs but I also don’t set a pace I want to keep on those – I just run at a pace that feels good and then pick it up at the end.  Like all races, I learned some good stuff today and I’m pleased with my efforts.

Categories: Uncategorized
  1. January 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

    Ugh the gatorade situation was terrible, they should have had it at every stop, not every 4. Water just wasn’t cutting it for me! Congrats on your PR 🙂

  2. January 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

    Shelley, I’m so glad Olive and I were able to cheer you on. It was an emotional morning for me. All those runners, all that energy… I wondered about each person’s running journey as I cheered them all on.. I kept tearing up a little as I would try to shout encouraging things… thinking about what running my first half will mean to me… about what running has been for me and what it must be for each of them.. all the while watching for you.. waiting for you. Then I saw you and was so excited! Will post the pic on facebook that I snapped. Congratulations! It’s so great to hear all the lessons you’re learning so I can benefit from them too. Well done! You make me proud to be a Rogue!

  3. Wade Pettengill
    January 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

    Awesome job Shelley!!

  4. January 31, 2011 at 8:51 am

    Great job — love to read your experience. I am so proud of you. 🙂 Do you carry your own fuel on your long runs (GU or something easy to carry is my thought) – just so you can avoid that wall and scream for Gatorade. I drink a lot too — sometimes I think too much, because I hate using the POJohns. 🙂

    Cheers to you for another great one under your belt.

    YOU are a rock star!

    • February 5, 2011 at 11:47 pm

      Sorry for my late reply to your question! Yes, I do carry Gu with me, but I needed more that day. It was tough. I’ve never used a POJohn during a race in my life. I’ll knock on wood now =) But if I ever run a marathon, I’m thinking that will change!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: